The siding on your home may seem like it is there for aesthetic purposes. But siding actually has a very important purpose—protecting your home. Rain, wind, snow, hail, and other elements can damage your home, but siding protects your home from these natural elements. Siding also works as insulation, keeping warm air in and cold air out during the winter, which will help keep your energy bills lower.
When to Replace
Often times, your siding may look completely fine, but that doesn’t mean your siding it completely fine. If your energy bills start rising, more specifically your heating and cooling costs, it may be time to get new siding. But then there are visual signs that should make your need for new siding obvious:
- Cracks and loose siding
- Rotting and dry rot
- Fungus or mold growing
- Bubbles in the siding
If you notice any of these on your siding, it may be time to consider some new siding—give us a call, we can help.
Simmons Roofing generally works with hardie board (cement board) siding and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin. These are both excellent options when it comes to siding choices.
Hardie board siding is made from sand and cement and can be manipulated to take on the looks of other siding types. Benefits of hardie board:
- Due to the materials that make hardie board, it is fire resistant.
- Hardie board can withstand the worst weather conditions as well, from hail and rain to strong winds, it will remain looking beautiful and untouched.
- This siding type is insect and rot resistant.
- Because it can look like other siding materials and be just about any color, your house can look however you’d like.
Polyvinyl chloride resin (PVC), also called vinyl siding, is plastic siding that looks like wood clapboard siding. The benefits of PVC siding are:
- It is very strong, durable, and long-lasting.
- Since it is plastic it won’t rust, dent, warp, rot, or chip.
- PVC siding is resistant to weather as well—rain, sun, and wind don’t stand a chance.
- Looks like wood siding and can be painted any color to match your home’s exterior.
Siding may appear to be, well, just for appearance, but siding in fact offers a lot to your home and serves an important purpose. If your siding is looking old, dingy, and worn out, give Simmons Roofing a call. We will help with your siding needs!